Who is the More Successful Employee?
After reading about steps you can take to increase your chances of workplace success, determine who is the more successful employee.
- Works for a mid-sized corporation as a departmental secretary to five team members and a departmental supervisor
- Types 65 words per minute
- Excellent computer skills
- Rarely asks anyone for help
- Prompt and efficient on the telephone
- Occasionally abrupt and rude when taking messages
- Several complaints in her file from coworkers and customers
- Rarely friendly
- Complains frequently about her job
- Reluctant to learn new skills
- Works at a university as administrative support for a team of five and a departmental supervisor
- Types 35 words per minute
- Basic computer skills
- Was out of the work force for two years due to an injury
- Retrained in administrative skills
- No prior experience in the field
- Complimentary letter in his file after a month on the job
- Made some mistakes
- Shows a willingness and enthusiasm to learn new skills and is showing improvement
There are positive and negative aspects to both of these employees. In your opinion, who is the better employee? Why? Give specific reasons for your choice.
- Imagine that Mary and Brian are interviewing for a position as an executive secretary at a large corporation. Who would get the job? Why?