stress & anger
When Stress Leads to Anger
Sometimes, excessive or improperly managed stress leads to anger. Can you think of a time when you felt angry about something or someone at work? How did you deal with it? While it's natural and even healthy to feel angry, it's important to learn the proper way to deal with it.
To manage your anger:
- Practice deep breathing and other relaxation techniques.
- If you feel you're able to, calmly discuss the situation. Be careful of your tone of voice, body language, and facial expressions. Know when to stop. It's OK to agree to disagree.
- If you are very angry, leave the situation before engaging in inappropriate behavior (yelling, cursing, violence). This sort of behavior is inexcusable.
- Leave work at work. Don't take your problems home with you. You risk taking your anger out on others.
- Seek counseling if you cannot manage your anger on your own.